"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." - Deuteronomy 6:5-7
In 1977, people from different denominational backgrounds worked together to establish a nondenominational Christian School in West Knoxville, based on the Lord's tug at their hearts to follow the commands given in Deuteronomy 6. Their vision was for Christian Academy of Knoxville (CAK) to be an extension of the Christian home with excellence in academics to prepare students for college and careers. That vision lives on today.
Sitting on a 77-acre campus, CAK brings together students from over 140 churches to study, grow, and pray together. We are intentional in our approach to educating students in a way that reflects relationships, excellence, and service all to the glory of God. This distinction guides our academic curriculum, athletics, and art programs as we seek to help students integrate their faith into the various disciplines of study.
CAK is proud to be accredited by both the AdvancED/Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS/AdvancED) and the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI). CAK was recently voted 2019's "Favorite Private School" in the Knoxville News Sentinel and "1st Place Christian School" in City View Magazine.
We hope you will take some time to look around our website and consider a campus tour. We would love to meet you!
History of CAK
- The 1960s - Several women from Cedar Springs Presbyterian Church began praying for a Christian school in Knoxville.
- 1975 - A Board of Directors was established and the school was formally chartered.
- 1977 - The school opened in Cedar Springs Presbyterian Church with 96 students grades K-6. By the end of the year, 100 students were enrolled.
- 1978 - Enrollment grew to 159 and grades 7 and 8 added.
- 1979 - The high school began with the addition of ninth grade. Enrollment was at 260.
- 1983 - Twenty-seven acres of land was purchased for CAK’s campus. CAK’s first graduation ceremony honored two graduating seniors.
- 1985 - CAK’s high school building was completed and occupied in January; the elementary building opened in September.
- 1986 - The first gym, with band room and home economics room, was completed.
- 1987 - CAK becomes the first school in Tennessee to gain dual accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI).
- 1988 - Two portable classrooms were added to the campus due to enrollment growth.
- 1992 - Six additional portable classrooms were installed and an addition to the elementary building is proposed.
- 1993 - The new elementary wing opened in October. This is the first time we had enough classrooms for all students to meet on one campus.
- 1997 - Additional land was purchased to bring the campus to 77 acres.
- 1998 - Enrollment topped 800 and the new high school building opened. The school officially opened its own street, Academy Way.
- 1999 - The Campus Center with gym, stage, and administrative offices opened. The spring band concert inaugurated the use of the building. The baseball field was completed in the spring.
- 2001-2006 - Pre-K program opened and new classrooms built. The school also saw the addition of a new playground, alighted football stadium, an eight-lane track, a lighted softball field, a lighted soccer stadium and new parking lots and athletic field houses.
- 2006-2007 - The middle school remodeling of the original building and addition of new classrooms was completed. This project included the building of new science rooms, computer labs, a music room, and a library.
- 2007-2008 - The high school remodeled offices and added new science lab, computer lab, music room, classrooms and expanded the commons. New parking lots also added.
- 2009 - Six tennis courts were constructed and opened near the Campus Center. The weight room was refurbished in preparation for a remodel.
- 2011 - Modular buildings were removed and construction began on the new campus cafeteria. CAK's Football team claimed its first state championship.
- 2012 - CAK Celebrated its 35th Anniversary.
- 2017 - CAK celebrated its 40th Anniversary. CAK Baseball and Softball both won the State Championship.
- 2018 - CAK welcomed Dan Perryman as Interim Head of School and Rich Fulford as Assistant Head of School.
- 2020 - CAK welcomed Rich Fulford as Head of School.